Monday, December 29, 2008

So guess what...

...it's Whoniverse ramble time again.

Sometimes, I honestly don’t know why the Doctor/Jack don't just give up on this stupid planet. Attack after attack after attack, oh just take the stupid damn rock and be done with it! It must be very frustrating. Not as frustrating as those Daleks must be for the Doctor though, oh no, destroyed his entire planet and the bloody things are still around. I watched Utopia/Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords last night (possible Master kink, let’s not go there) and of course I watched ‘Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang’ and I can’t help thinking that this truly is an awful job. Jack has spent a year pretty much dying the whole time, made the decision to go back to the hub after years of waiting for the Doctor, only to arrive in utter chaos where a) everyone’s mad at him, b) he dies again, c) he has to deal with a psychotic ex, and d) he is expected to save the day. Now if I’ve just spent a year in an alternate time line being tortured and watching the world being destroyed, I would not be particularly pleased by this turn of events. In fact I’d be very tempted to say fuck this shit, and find myself a nice little planet that is not constantly being bothered by aliens. A nice peaceful little planet. Where clouds are actually fluffy. But I mean really, it’s so fucked up. Just think, you’ve spent a year thinking everyone you cared for was dead and it must be such a relief to return home and see them all perfectly fine, except they’re all annoyed with you. Then on top of this, and after all that turmoil you’ve just escaped from, you have to deal with this psycho ex situation who then completely strikes another huge blow at you, opening an entirely different world of emotional trauma. Because you haven’t suffered enough apparently [Actually, come to think of it, the suffering never really ends after he comes back. And I though we were being brutal with Eric]. Not that the Doctor ever gets off easy, I mean just look at the end of Season 4. He always ends up alone. He loses everything. Perhaps he should just take Jack with him, I mean once the team’s all died (which shouldn’t take too long at the current rate). After all, at least there’d be someone else who understood the loss and the loneliness, someone else who knew the weight of time. I mean hell, isn’t Jack technically older than the Doctor now? Oh oh, that reminds me of a completely different debate I was having with myself…if you are travelling with the Doctor, how do you even measure time? I mean sure, you can say you’ve been here three days or there two weeks, but they may not necessarily be equivalent to earth days, then you return to earth and it’s only two days since you left and you carry on with everything, having your birthday and whatever…but I mean, technically, you’re older than your birthday now, aren’t you? Just using the whole Master situation, that’s a year that’s been reversed, but it’s still passed. So Martha has to be a year older now, right? I'm assuming you continue to age even when travelling in time/space. Which means that let’s say she’s celebrating her 24th birthday or whatever, with all the time she’s been away, she’s actually older than that. Time travel…it’ll screw with your head. It’s probably why no one’s been working on it, they tried to work out of the logistics but it turned into a headache so they gave up. Shame too, one would think teleportation came before time travel, and I really wish we’d get there.

While I’m on this topic (when aren’t I on this topic, it’s consuming my life, bah!), I love this picspam simply for one of the captions, which reads "...gets snogged by dashing captains just before they piss off with time lords." For some reason, I find this endlessly amusing. I don’t know why! There’s no reason for it to be funny, yet it makes me glee. I'm an idiot.

I need a hobby…or is this my hobby? God, I am such a nerd.

Music: My sweet prince - Placebo
Mood: Bored
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for boggling my mind and giving me yet another thing to puzzle on. What I wonder about is whether they sleep? I mean like when they got stuck in 1969 for a while. Does the Doctor sleep? I mean the companions must sleep between trips or they'd turn into zombies. It's not like there are bunk beds in the Tardis!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well surely the TARDIS has rooms? It's huge. Whether the Doctor actually gives anyone time to sleep is a different question...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a widely accepted fact in Who Fandom that there are other rooms in the TARDIS. There is at least the wardrobe and he mentions an attic...

    And dude I have CONSTANTLY contemplated that. I try simply not to now because it's just too confusing. I also contemplate when exactly they do this sleeping. Midflight? Or do they park the TARDIS somewhere and just bunk down? Talk about epic jetlag, time is not a fixed construct with the Doctor so when would you KNOW to sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that we are having a discussion regarding the interior construct of the TARDIS :D

    Well journeys seem to happen really quickly, its like its a seven hour flight or whatever, so I guess that rules out sleeping during the flight (not that you could anyway, with all that shaking). One would think a pit stop would be the obvious choice. But then you're right, how would they know when to sleep? If it's just when it's dark, it would result in epic jetlag. But possibly the TARDIS does something to cancel it out, like she does with language? A wizard did it, nooo, the TARDIS did it!

    ReplyDelete