Monday, December 22, 2008

Fall asleep with the windows open

Tonight is my last night in the Lair, and I'm honestly a little depressed about it. Which is kinda fucked cause now I'm going feel like I want to be in two places at once. I love Sydney, I honestly do. I miss my friends, and my dog, and my bed, and having more than seven t-shirts to wear, and the sun, and the city (it's vibe this time of year), and the way the light glints off the harbor in a way that always makes me stop and think I live in the prettiest city ever, ever y time, without fail. But I have had such a good time this week hanging with Abs, meeting her friends, experiencing London life as it were. I really enjoyed it, and I'm going to miss it. All the people I've met have been great, the things I've seen and done (and the city itself) have been interesting and exciting and vibrant and just...sigh. Another downside is of course I think I've actually gotten used to the climate, so now I'm probably going to roast slowly when we get back until I get used to that again. Such a no win situation. But lamenting the end of my absolutely gorgeous, irreplaceable stay here is not going to help. Still, thanks so much to everyone who made it so awesome. You all rock.

Speaking of rocks, went to Stonehenge today (bad segway, I know). The trip started obscenely early from the parental unit's hotel, so last night I decided to stay there instead and give Abs a bit of a break too since she was half dead, poor thing. Anyway, a little earlier we'd watched the Blink episode of Doctor Who and walking around Kensington in the dark with all it's hotels and their statues and gargoyles leering at you is probably not the best thing you could do. Freaky as all hell. It continued today actually when the tour stopped at Windsor Castle, and they have some really freaky looking gargoyles. Disturbing. I'm actually working myself up to watching the season four series final right now. I've been so on edge about this for months now, it's almost hard to go ahead and watch it. But back on the topic of touring....the way things have been going, you'd think I came here with the sole purpose of watching Doctor Who, and as noble a pursuit as that is, other things have actually happened. So anywho, Windsor Castle to Stonehenge to Bath. All of which is very cool. Impressive as Stonehenge is, it's not as big as I had imagined. It doesn't help that I keep seeing the Spinal Tap Stonehenge bit playing in my head -

David St. Hubbins: I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem may have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf. Alright? That tended to understate the hugeness of the object.
Ian Faith: I really think you're just making much too big a thing out of it.
Derek Smalls: Making a big thing out of it would have been a good idea.


My dad and I got into an argument not even halfway out of course. In the end he huffed "Why did you even come?!" I decided to not answer this question as the honest answer would have been "To see things, not to see things with you!" I think it's been made worse by my absence from his annoying influence. I do not know how my mother survives it. The jittery, indecisive, and yet still demanding and continually rushing behavior drives me mad. Now tomorrow I'm returning to it. Joy. AND he's off work until the fifth of January, just like me. We are going to kill each other. I guess I've been lucky. I've had a week that's actually felt like holiday, it's been perfectly balanced and I had a good time. I haven't been rushed or stressed or anything, which is rare for an overseas trip. I could easily do another week of this. Shame life isn't that kind.

That all said, I'll be back home being my nerdy, loser-y self again real soon. A blog and a ramble a day no doubt, and writing! Oh yes, there shall be writing.

Did I mention I passed uni? Got two credits and a distinction. Huzzah! (Although I'm still pissed at that useless genre writing tutor and his uncommitted approach to grading.) Now I just have to wait and hear about Honours, and if it doesn't work out, I guess I'll just have skip straight to post-grad course work. Will see soon enough.

There's so much really that warrants discussion, but I just don't know where to begin half the time and there really is just so much that it feels almost impossible. Certainly too impossible for right now...I have to finish packing all my crap again, blargh.

Music: Little Death - [+44)
Mood: A little sad
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment