Thursday, September 16, 2010

Don't let me hear you say life's taking you nowhere

Conversation from class -

Tutor: ...so science fiction asks what if - what if we took this technology and did this. For example, what would it mean for our perception of existence if we were able to capture the essence of a person and duplicate it after death, like a projection.
Me: Like in Red Dwarf.
Class: ...
*crickets chirp*

Story of my life. Another conversation:

Tutor: It can exist on multiple planes, it doesn't have to be linear or historical accurate. So alternate universes, time travel, that sort of thing. You just have to be careful to keep track of where you're taking the story as you're writing.
Me: *chuckles at own cleverness* This is my timey-wimey detector, it goes ding when there's stuff.
Class: ...
*tumbleweed rolls by*

But that's fine, people don't watch British sci-fi here, I can let that slide. What I find more worrying however is this:

Picture if you will a group of four workshopping a fellow student's piece. In said piece a group of lost people are wiling away time waiting for an imminent attack that they know will happen when something specific stops.

Me: This reminds me of Lord of the Rings. You know the bit with the cave troll, when they're in the Mines of Moria and the drums start up and they're waiting...
Workshoppee: -blank stare-
Me: ...have you seen Lord of the Rings?
Workshoppee: No - (would probably have said more had I not interrupted)
Me: Why do people not watch Lord of the Rings!?

I may have made him feel bad there, but hey, people should watch LOTR. They just should. If they're not going to read it, that's what has to happen. To me it's not a nerd/geek thing, it's a popular culture thing. My mother has watched the first one. Actually, I've been trying to convince her to watch the others, but it's been unsuccessful - she claims they are too long. A valid argument I suppose, if it's not something that grabs your attention.

I completely understand it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'd still say an attempt at watching it is at least required. Before I gave LOTR a chance, I didn't think it was my cup of tea either and just look, I could not have been more wrong.

Hm. I really, really want to watch that again. I've been saying that for the past year. Seems as good a Friday night activity as any.

Music: Golden Years - David Bowie
Mood: Working
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment