Saturday, January 10, 2009

Do what you want, when you want

From a conversation with Abs this morning :

A: You really like your bad boys don’t you…the master…eric
J: Haha I guess I do
A: dark, dark, dark
J: Probably some psychological thing there
J: I think maybe I just like them damaged
A: There's more than 1 kind of damage
A: You like them properly fucked up


And I realised truer words have probably never been typed. It’s always been like that, and I suppose that asks a few questions of me. There’s just something…I don’t know. I like the complication, the complexity of character, the various multitudes of emotions and experiences that leads to it. I have an icon appropriate to this which reads You taste like self-destruction. It is probably going to bite me in the ass someday.

But at least my Torchwood fandom is being put to good use as I can offer detailed commentary on episodes while stuck at work. Ah my obsessiveness, bless.

Ooooh, check this out - “Cosmic Superstorm Feared

As always in moments when the universe presents a catastrophe to remind the human race of just how useless and insignificant we actually are, I look to the sky and wait for that Blue Box to finally appear, hurry up goddamnit.

"The forecast is based in part on a similarly sized solar storm that took place in 1859..."

Hmmm. That couldn’t perhaps have something to do with Jack space-hopping over from Satellite 5, could it? [Yes I know, 1869. Shh. Let me amuse myself.]

They make it too easy to scoff at their portents of doom. How often do they predict horrific events that either never happen or are not nearly as severe as they expected? Look at that whole CERN hadron collider thing from last year. I was supporting “They said the world was ending” as a valid excuse for not doing any assignments, but did they deliver? Of course not. Instead of a black hole, we got a big fat nothing…which in theory sounds like the same thing, but without the destruction of reality, it’s not nearly as exciting – also how do people actually know what a black hole does? It’s not like anyone’s gone into one to have a look. For all we know you could end up in Avalon or, better yet, Valinor! *eyes glaze over* Anyway, a big part of Astronomy is just speculation and I can’t help feeling that if we ever have the technology to test any of this stuff out, everyone is going to look back at astronomers and laugh. In fact, wasn’t that whole CERN experiment in general a total bust up? It worked for a few days and then there was some sort of fault. I can’t help feeling that the major concern here shouldn’t be potential black holes, but rather the structural integrity of Geneva, what with all these massive tunnels and potential colliding atoms underneath it. All I learnt from the whole thing is that particle collision is just as uneventful in real life as it was studying it for physics; and just as unreliable as my ability to recall Maxwell’s equations correctly in that very same subject (oh my god, my head hurts just trying to even remember…and I actually passed this fucking subject, oh yes I did. Take that Faraday’s law! I am supreme ruler of the universe! A ruler with a very basic grasp of equations, it's true, but I’m good on the theories! Promise. Actually, I’d recommend taking physics to anyone – painful as it is, it’s endlessly useful, and probably one of the only subjects I took at school that is).

I realise sun flares are a real and valid concern, what with its history of knocking out communication and so forth, but really, there’s nothing we can do about it anyway, is there? It’s not like we can flick the sun-flare shield on to protect the infrastructure. Besides that kind of technology is always kind of unreliable. If movies and television teach us anything, it is that these things hardly ever end well…have you seen ‘The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit’, or better yet ‘42’? Death by star/spacial region it shall be.

I, for one, would like to know why people continue to panic when the world is ending. What’s the point of spending your last few moments in a complete state of stress? I suggest grabbing a cocktail, pulling up a lawn chair, and sitting back to watch it all go to hell. Sure, it sucks, and sure, you don’t want to die, but thinking this and running around screaming is not going to change anything. So you might as well enjoy yourself, as John Hart would say - “Five minutes to live and you want me to behave?!” I am clearly from the Time Agency School of Dying.

Photobucket

The last time I was sentenced to death, I ordered four hyper-vodkas for my breakfast. All a bit of a blur after that... I woke up in bed with both of my executioners. Lovely couple, they stayed in touch! Can't say that about most executioners.

Huh. This is a very random post…and all this because of a article on sun flares *shakes head at self*

Music: Daddy's Gone - Glasvegas
Mood: Silly
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment