Friday, February 20, 2009

When I watch you

I wanna do you, right where you're standing
Right in the foyer, on this dark day
Right in plain view, oh yeah

Say Anything are probably in the very same state as me at this very moment, and yet I won't be seeing them play. How is this fair? Come back boys, don't be like that!

What is it about certain songs that makes you want to wrap the music around you? Some sort of physical manifestation to wear as a badge or such. Like Stephen Christian's or William Beckett's voice (or Ville Valo's for the matter), or Matt Bellamy's piano playing, or the guitar in 'My Own Cheating Heart'. I want to quote it or wear it or snuggle it. But yet it is completely elusive.

Anyway.

Look at this:
The weekly topic areas and readings will be discussed with a view to developing students' original topics. The focus of this subject will explore different methodologies and fields of study within cultural studies. The focus will be on theories and ideas of place and space, including:
- The Poetics of Space
- Walking in the City
- Neighbourhoods
- Psychogeography
- Heterotopias
- The Country and the City
- The Cinematic City
- Virtual Spaces and Networks
- Writing about Place

I have a bad feeling about this 'walking' and 'city' business Please, not the fucking Flaneur again! Gah. Stupid culture subjects. If virtual spaces and networks have anything to do with interwebz, I shall do my presentation that week and rant about twitter for 15 minutes. It's topical, right, and it's sort of voyeristic. Smack a few theories in, and it'll work. Culture subjects suck my will to live. As do presentations. Oh how I loathe them. Ah well. What can you do? I suppose it could be worse, it could be 'the mythology of the other' again *shudder*

My Honours Writing Workshop consists of three parts:
- Poetry and poetics (Woe. Please, no more Heidegger theory. A thing is a thing in its thinging! What is that! That doesn't even make sense!)
- Literary fiction and non-fiction (Eh, this should be ok. Depending on who leads of course).
- Non-linear writing and hypertext (This is a nightmare to study, it usually it involves a lot of dodgy websites and "postmodernism")
The assignments for this are very clear *cough* and entitiled "Experiment" and "Creative Work in Progress". Right.

I have an hour break between those two classes. I suspect I'll be brain dead by the end of the day.

The other class, Honours Workshop, terrifies me into all sorts of socially akward, insecure knots. For example there are such joyous highlights such as "whole day session of presentation to the class and interested supervisors with critical discussion and feedback" and "workshop sessions with guest academics". Where do I crawl in to die? This ties with the anxiety level of having those read-throughs in Screenwriting last semester (they lied to us, they said there wouldn't be any actors!) I am also apprehensive since, well, it's a workshop and I epically fail at that. I never feel at ease criticising the work of someone I barely know, it's always awkward and difficult. But I guess that's like most things involving me. Tellingly perhaps, I've never found it particularly useful either...except for Screenwriting, where I grudgling admit the read-through was very beneficial in seeing how everything gelled in the damn script and what had to go. Doesn't make it anymore enjoyable though.

Sigh. I'm going to have to get my ass in gear for this. Tertiary education. I want to do it but that doesn't stop me whinging about it.

The following is a valid concern:
Photobucket
Seriously, the emoticon and the paratheses. Ending causality!

Sticking to the images, I love this postsecret. It's got an air of "aww damn it!" I appreciate.

Photobucket

On the family and shift-of-doom front, my father's motorbike is quickly becoming the bane of my existance. Since we only have the Canyonero Antichrist now, I park my car in the garage. Problem is, with the psycho shifts, more and more often I have to move the bike in order to get the car out. That bike is heavy. I just don't understand the physics of keeping it upright. Much like planes have no business staying in the air, this bike has no business standing. I live in fear that it's going to topple over any day now (possibly trapping me underneath it, possibly also crushing my legs) and then I'm going to have to join Witness Protection so my dad can't hunt me down and kill me. It's far too nerve-wrecking an exploit to undertake at 8 in the morning when one is barely awake.

My inner House fangirl had a field day today as I harrassed some hospitals for test results. Scanning over them as they came in, I had to stop myself from rushing into the office, gleefully brandishing the paper, while loudly affirming, "It's not Lupus!" No. It's never Lupus.

Photobucket

Indeed.

Bored now.

Line of the moment : I never tell lies. I interpret reality creatively.

Music: Alive with the glory of love - Say Anything
Mood: Lethargic
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. That PostSecret rawks!

    I love the desire to engage with something non-physical in a physical manner. This is like me wanting to lick Matt Schultz's accent...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! It's quite frustrating to want to have some sort of interaction wiht it on a tangible plane, and you just can't. Which I guess is the very essence of art, in a way.

    ReplyDelete